Monday, April 07, 2008

Back from the Walk to Emmaus

I spent Thursday-Sunday serving on the team for Crossroads Emmaus Men's Walk # 41, Walk to Emmaus, at Singing Hills Conference Center in Plainfield, NH. I am feeling renewed in spirit, spiritually strengthened, and somewhat sleep-deprived.

I've been thinking about a few highlights of the weekend which intensify my confidence in the way God uses the Walk to Emmaus as one tool in transforming lives:
  • seeing guys take big steps in their faith, confront places in themselves that need to change, and move beyond a place of taking faith for granted
  • experiencing agape love
  • remembering again, for myself, the transforming power of God's grace
  • seeing guys step beyond their comfort zone to give a talk
  • experiencing Communion that really is communion in its truest sense: Communion with God and communion with one another
  • laughing until it hurt
  • crossing boundaries: interacting with people I otherwise might never encounter
  • witnessing the breaking of emotional barriers
  • realizing that public speaking is not just about excellent elocution skills, but more importantly, hearts transformed by grace.
  • learning once again (in the words of a fellow spiritual director) that "rough hewn" works just as well - that sanctification is not the same thing as education or elevation

Have you been on the Walk to Emmaus? If so, what would you add to the list?

4 comments:

Terry said...

I'm still in "Wow" mode as a fellow pilgrim in Walk #41 put it. I can't describe in words what I experienced...only that I pray that everyone can experience God's Grace & Love in this deeply personal way. I think deep down I hoped Jesus loved me, but I was not always sure given the myriad of imperfections in my life journey. Now I have felt that Love and Forgiveness directly, and KNOW he loves me, I KNOW I can serve him from now until the end of days.

Allen Ewing-Merrill said...

Terry - Amen! I'm so glad God used the Walk in such a powerful way in your life. Blessings to you!

Anonymous said...

DE COLORES!!!

Steve said...

Allen:
Here are a couple of my thoughts regarding how God uses the Walk to Emmaus as one tool in transforming lives:

1) As a microscope: Those habits that have formed in our lives and prevent Gods love from flowing through us into the world are brought into focus. With a clear viewpoint, we are enabled by the Holy Spirit, working through the Body of Christ to accept forgiveness for what truely hinders our relationship with Him. We are transformed deeply and significantly by this experience.

2) As a living witness: The walk brings together people who are in various stages of their journey, yet no part of the weekend refuses to provide significant opportunities for those involved to become closer to Christ. It truely is a living witness to the glory of the living God through the interaction of those involved.

Allen, it was a pleasure to serve with you and an honor to be on team while you were taking your walk.

Gods Peace to you and your family
In His Name
Steve Barnes
Crossroads Emmaus Walk Number 1
Table of LUKE !