Friday, January 18, 2008

Ready for a Wellness Exam?

This week I went to my new primary care physician for a wellness exam, also known as a physical. It was my first time meeting this new doctor, so of course there were lots of questions about family history, about my allergies and asthma, about diet and exercise, and all the rest. The nurse took my blood pressure, height, and weight and asked me about the medications I take. The doctor listened to my lungs, looked at my eyes and ears and throat, poked and prodded here and there... refilled some prescriptions for asthma medications... and made a referral to an allergist. I came away feeling good that I'm being proactive about my health and good about establishing a relationship with a doctor who will provide care should I be sick in the future.

I wonder... do we give our spiritual health the same weight of importance? Are we as intentional about assessing our own spiritual health from time to time? What would a spiritual wellness exam look like?

I can imagine questions like these...
  • How is your prayer life?
  • What other spiritual practices nurture your faith?
  • What habits, practices, or patterns stand between you and a deeper faith in God?
  • Who are your spiritual mentors, role models, or companions in Christ?
  • What have you been reading from Scripture, and what new insights have led you deeper in faith?
  • How have you used the gifts God has given you in service to God and God's people?
  • How are you remaining faithful to the practice of worship?
  • How have you engaged in works of compassion and mercy, helping people in need?
  • How has your faith led you to works of justice?
  • When and how have you shared your faith with others?
  • How have you encouraged others in their own walk of faith?
  • How have you shown Christian hospitality to those whom God sends your way?
  • What are you doing to grow deeper in your practice of Christian stewardship and generosity?
  • When have you felt closest to God? most distant from God?
  • What "prescriptions" do you need to fill (or fulfill or refill) to treat symptoms of spiritual dis-ease?

What questions would you add to the list? Are you willing to undertake a spiritual wellness exam?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allen, Very good analogy. Hope you don't mind if I print this entry and share it with some friends who are "internet challenged".

De Colores, dan

p.s. i might keep a copy for my own spiritual wellness checkup :)

Allen Ewing-Merrill said...

Sure, Dan - go ahead and print away, and feel free to use this however it might be useful.

Blessings to you as you continue your own spiritual journey!