Thursday, September 18, 2008

Single Dad for a few days

Sara has been away at a meeting in Cincinnati this week. Rachel and I took her to the airport on Wednesday afternoon, and she'll be home tomorrow night. It's fun having some sustained one-on-one time with this little two-year-old I love so much, and I think she enjoys it too -- every once in a while she exclaims, "We're having Rachel-and-Daddy time!" -- but I wonder...

How do single parents do this all the time?

Seriously. That is my big question for the day. How in the world do you hold down a job and parent young children all by yourself?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

I wonder the same thing all the time. Jay went out of town for the weekend last February and I had to have my mom come help me, not only for the business of, say, entertaining one while I put the other to bed, but simply for adult conversation.

I guess the lucky ones have family around to help out. Everyone else? I have no idea. I think it's just something you get used to and you make it work. I have a friend whose husband has been deployed for ages so she essentially functions as a single parent who also attends school! I get the feeling that she just makes it happen simply because she has to.