Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall has arrived!



























My friend Beth Dimond, who is brilliant behind the camera, sent this beautiful photo which she took the other day here in Maine.

It's clear: Fall has arrived.

I used to dread fall. For all of my growing-up years and well into my early adulthood, fall only symbolized the regrettable end of things -- the end of summer, the end of long days, the end of open windows and warm nights. And along with the end of things I loved so much, it was the harbinger of terrible things to come, like shoveling snow and cold mornings and long, dark nights.

I know so many people -- my wife, Sara, included -- who say fall in Maine is their favorite time of year, but I'll confess, for years, I saw nothing redeeming about fall.

Sara has brought many gifts to my life, and one of them, I can honestly say, is a newfound appreciation for this season. By her influence, I've learned to really enjoy some of the fall traditions: apple picking, going to the Common Ground Country Fair, walking in the fallen leaves (and raking them, too!), decorating our house with colorful chrysanthemums, enjoying the incredible harvest of fresh fruits and vegetables from the farmers markets, and yes, taking the time to admire and appreciate the majesty of God's Creation displayed in the bright colors that fill the roadsides.

I'm thankful for this new appreciation, I'm thankful for Sara and the influence she has on my life, and I'm thankful for the reminder that there is always reason to find the joy in each present moment when we're attentive to God's gifts.

Wherever you are, may your autumn be filled with joy!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Allen, thanks for posting my photo and for the reminder of all of the wonderful things about fall (and for not taking credit for the photo as you said you were going to :)). My favorite thing about fall, besides the beautiful colors that I love to photograph, is the Fryeburg Fair. My family has always gone to the fair, and I am headed there on Friday. I am VERY excited.

Allen Ewing-Merrill said...

Beth, I've never been to the Fryeburg Fair, but I hope to one of these years. And come on, you know I would NEVER take credit for your photos! :-)